Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In Sync

The Dali Lama just left town. He spoke at several large events and, no, I did not get to see him, sadly. But I still received a bit of his wisdom indirectly – I actually think this city is moving a little more lightly since he was here. I have never met the Dali Lama, I have never seen him speak, and I have no personal experience with his wisdom or the clarity that people find in Tibetan Buddhism. But I have witnessed the effect he has on others, and it is powerful. I remember when I was in high school going to a symposium held by some top-level physicists who had met with the Dali Lama in an exchange of ideas, unsolvable problems, and solutions. They were glowing with their transformation and, through them, I was too – US history and geometry have slipped away, but I still hold on tight to what I learned there. And yesterday I was on the bus when two older women got on. They were carrying programs from one of the Dali Lama events that had just happened and the young man sitting next to me asked them how it was. Another lady joined in and a conversation between strangers ensued. Not many were talking, but everyone in ear-shot was listening. Compassion, they said, that was his message.

I don’t much believe in fate these days, but I do believe in warped moments of synchronicity. And I think that being on the bus at the same time as those shinning women was one of those moments. When they came on, I was having a rather negative conversation with one of my classmates. I don’t have a lot in common with her, so complaining about school is the only way we have found to fill the awkward bus time we share. There was a sharp, almost visible contrast between our dark, angry tone and their brighter airs and it was humbling. Suddenly I heard the words coming out of my classmates mouth and I was reminded of how awful complaining really sounds. This was a reminder to shut up and appreciate.

4 comments:

rot9 said...

Way to be JD! We definitely need more life-giving words these days!

Toby said...

Thanks for cracking compassion on my head this morning. It is dropping down like those fake eggs we used to crack on our heads. I needed that.

osf said...

Sure but does compassion does not mean constant optimism? I know some people who are always "wonderful" but rarely are, if that makes sense.

Compassion, to me, is the act of trying to understand another's point of view. What is it for you?

As for your classmate, does it say something about her worldview that your shared conversation is negative? About yours? Understanding those questions leads to compassion IMHO.

Toby said...

How about compassion for self? To me that is perhaps even more work but may perhaps be an important key. What means IMHO?